Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Best. Valentine's. Ever.

So, last night. Dolly and I had planned a get together for singles--I didn't want to be alone and depressed on Valentine's Day, so I invited some choice single friends to come out with us on the Lower East Side. I was nervous about the turnout, but we had a perfect group--a perfect balance of girls and guys--and a fair number of bloggers! Other than me and Dolly, we had Teacup and Damn It Anyway. The Founding Member was there, and Sarah (she and the Manchild broke up right after New Year's) and a few other friends as well. We had a blast.

We started out at Max Fisch, everyone's fav LES watering hole. It was great to be there on a weekday--it wasn't obnoxiously packed like it is on the weekends. Everyone sat around and chatted and bonded--we did a fair amount of complaining, but it was all in good fun. There were no couples to be found--which was great for our mood. The real fun started, though, when we got to some pretentious place that wouldn't let us sit down unless we got bottle service (no one was there, so the tables were wasted). BUT, they had an open bar for women from 9-10. There were tons of cute single girls there for the boys in our group, and all our girls were more than happy with the free booze. I had a moment of great happiness and clarity: I've been feeling so alone and miserable these past few months, like I'm the only single person in the world. Seeing these great people surrounding me, all single, all smart, successful, and wonderful people made me so proud. Proud to be single. Proud to have friends like these. Proud that Dolly and I organized such a successful event. I was truly truly happy--probably the first time I have been so completely happy since I kissed MacB.

So thanks, y'all. This Valentine's Day meant a whole lot more to me than the expensive gifts and dinners I've had in years past. This day of bitterness still ended up being a day of love for me: love for the fabulous people I have in my life.

2 Comments:

At 2/15/2006 10:58 PM, Blogger Damn It Anyway said...

It was a blast, thanks again for inviting me

 
At 2/16/2006 4:01 PM, Blogger Tyler said...

Sounds like a great time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home