Friday, January 20, 2006

Year of Yes?

Has anyone heard about this book, The Year of Yes? Basically it's about a girl who goes out with anyone who asks her for a year. And ends up marrying this divorced guy, 25-years her senior. Wow. Not what a 20-year-old is exactly looking for. But she's blissfully happy, she says (and I'm sure he is too!). So good for her.

I pretty much have the same philosophy. As my friends will tell you, I'll go on a 1st date with just about anyone who asks (within reason). It's the second date you have to earn. I didn't really think Jersey Shore Boy would go anywhere when he asked me out, but we had such an amazing first date, that the rest is history. Even though things didn't work out between us, I don't regret our relationship for a minute.

Though I think I'm too jaded at the moment to actually GET asked out, I do firmly believe in giving people a chance. Maybe I was too hard on the friendster guy?

9 Comments:

At 1/20/2006 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm only about 30 pages into the book, so thanks for spoiling the ending. Anyway, she seems too damn neurotic, cold, and self-centered for my tastes.

 
At 1/20/2006 4:44 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

"I'll go on a 1st date with just about anyone who asks (within reason). It's the second date you have to earn."

Very good philosophy...one of my rules of thumb as well.

I think not giving people a chance for a first date is a big problem with dating in NYC...not enough people go out on a limb to meet someone new...

 
At 1/20/2006 6:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why are you too jaded to get asked out? Do you scowl at everyone?

 
At 1/22/2006 9:43 AM, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

I've never heard of the book.
Even though I tend to really hate chick-lit, I must admit that the book sounds "interesting" at the very least.

 
At 1/22/2006 1:53 PM, Blogger Platinum Pussy said...

I was going to pick this up next time i went to the bookstore. The concept is nice, but how was it, really?

 
At 1/22/2006 11:25 PM, Blogger Damn It Anyway said...

I saw an interview with the author, she's married now, though I'm not sure if she met him over the course of the yes year.

 
At 1/23/2006 3:01 PM, Blogger AWE said...

Sounds like a good idea, almost like Forrest and his box of chocolates, "You never know what your going to get."

 
At 1/23/2006 8:40 PM, Blogger The Team said...

Did it really take a year to find the good in that 25+ man? Um, I think my Friday and Saturday nights are best spent being single...

But hey -- more power to her.

If she was out to get married, she got it... I just hope she doesn't miss any of the good old single days.

 
At 1/28/2006 9:28 AM, Blogger Asian Mistress said...

I think I need to engage in the year/rule of yes.

Within reason.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home