Thursday, January 19, 2006

The Good Thing About Being Jaded...

...is that frankly, I just don't care. So I'm not risking anything by being forward, because, well, I just don't care!

Take the party I was at this past weekend. It was way lame, practically all the guys there had girlfriends (but yet none of their girlfriends were there. Is that strange to anyone but me?). So, there are three semi-eligible guys sitting on the couch. A friend of a friend thought one was cute, but was too scared to go over there. So I went over to get some Brie and started chatting them up. I kept waiting for this girl to come by and be like "hey!" but she never did. I had to extricate myself to ask her what had happened!! She didn't know she was supposed to come over, she said, but figured none of them were single anyway. So, I decide I'm going to figure it out. I walk over to them again, and we have the following exchange:

Kristin: I've just been sent over here to do some recon. My friends want to know--are any of you single or are we just barking up the wrong tree?
Guy #1: With me, you're barking up the wrong tree--I don't like girls.
Guy #2 (This is the guy the girl was into): (reluctantly) Uh, I have a girlfriend.
Guy #3: (reluctantly) Uh, I'm single.
Kristin: Okay, we'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

I don't think I would have dared to be so blunt if I had actually cared about what the outcome was. So yeay for being jaded! Needless to say, we high-tailed it out of there after that.

The Bad Thing About Being Jaded...

...Is that I can't be bothered. This guy on friendster has been emailing me to set a time to go out, but keeps picking bizzare times, like Wednesday night at 9. I have no interest in meeting someone for drinks at 9pm on a Wednesday. Friday or Saturday, sure, but WEDNESDAY? Don't people have to work in the morning? I'm temping again so I certainly do. It would be one thing if he said he works late or something, but I've gotten no explanation for the bizzare times. But, since I don't care, I won't comprimise. Which is probably bad, but whatever. I can't be bothered. If he can't meet at 6 or 7 like a normal person, than I can't meet him.

8 Comments:

At 1/20/2006 2:24 AM, Blogger AWE said...

That is kind of late on a weekday, but maybe he is just wanting to make sure it is a short meeting.

That is pretty cool that you can be the forward/Jaded one at the party. That can cut the BS down a mile. On the other hand, I need you to be with me when I go out to eat and the order is wrong.

 
At 1/20/2006 6:55 AM, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

What the hell?? Wednesday at 9pm? Who does that for the first time that you meet up? Maybe he works super late and that's the earliest that he could ever meet on a weekday?

 
At 1/20/2006 8:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's very eye-opening when you hit that "jaded" moment in dating. You suddenly realize you either 1)don't care very much 2) realize you don't have much to lose, so why not just be forward and say what you and go for what you want?

I was out to dinner last night with a group of guys and watched them all flirt with my friend- who has a boyfriend. At one point (even a couple of months ago), it might have annoyed me. But now I'm kinda at the stage where I was like, "good for her!"

Because I think I'm joining Kristin on the jaded express.

 
At 1/20/2006 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What happened when you sent the text back to brit scientist that you were available? Didn't he do anything!? I think he was fishing when he sent you his text.

 
At 1/20/2006 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what's wrong with wednesday at 9 for a first date. it's actually the perfect time if you don't know the person. if you meet up at 6 or 7 then dinner is implied which means that even if there is no instant chemistry you have to be there for 2 hours. a wednesday at 9 gives you guys an hour to have a drink or two and then call it a night and you'll be home by 10 or 10:30. if you already knew the guy a weekend first date is great but for a blind date, this is perfect.

 
At 1/20/2006 11:12 AM, Blogger . said...

The problem with 9pm for me is that it'll take me far too long to get home at a reasonable hour. I do live in Manhattan, but far from the hustle and bustle. If I didn't leave at 10pm, I'd be commuting all night!

I did tell him that 7ish would be ideal for me, but he hasn't replied. Also, he made it clear that we were meeting for drinks, so I'm not sure why dinner is implied. The nice thing about meeting somewhat early is that if you ARE having fun, you have time to continue the date for 3 or 4 more hours...

 
At 1/25/2006 10:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he was giving you a chance to go home after work to get all sexy before the date. No one likes having to put on makeup and a nice dress in the bathroom at work.
Perhaps he was going out of town on the weekend, but really wanted to see you, and didn't want to blow you off until the following week. If it's a first date, maybe he didn't feel he could say, "Well... not this weekend because I'm going out of town. I'll call you later on next week." because you would blow him off.
Maybe he wanted to set himself aside from the fold by making himself seem spontaneous and different.
Well, you wouldn't know, would you?
Also, you were so jaded at the party that you asked a guy if he was single... Big deal! You didn't get any dates from it either way. "Oh, you're single? Well, great, I'm going to go complain that no one in NYC is single... Oooh, I'm so cool to be jaded."
Wow! You're a loser!

 
At 1/25/2006 11:09 PM, Blogger . said...

I'm not sure why my blog bothers you so much, anonymous. No one's forcing you to read it.

Oh, wait, are you the friendster guy?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home