Friday, October 14, 2005

A World of Possibility...

Okay, so dating in New York is hard for us girls. I've said it, Sex and the City said it, there's even a whole genre of literature saying it. But despite all the bitching and complaining about single life, being single here does have its occasional moments. Moments where it seems like anything is possible.

Depite the constant complaint about the men here, we live in a city of 8 million. So there are single boys about. And each day is fraught with possiblity. All of these boys--any one of them could be The One. It's nice to think that your soulmate might be just around the corner. And we've all met someone we've crushed on, despite being with someone else. But not being tied down means that anyone I take a liking to who takes a liking to me is a possibility. Or at the very least I'm allowed to entertain the possibility in my mind. And it's a good feeling.

So, I'm sure you'll ask, where has this hopeful Kristin come from? Well, there has been some flirtatious action from some of the boys in my acting class (and yes, they're actually straight!). The first hint came from a guy we'll call Spaz (he's a tad spastic, but in a totally funny way). He was sitting next to me and making me laugh. His scene partner (we'll call him 'Oz' cuz he reminds me of Chris Klein) is like 6'3", a musician, and totally cute. When Spaz was saying "oh, I make you laugh, you think I'm funny" Oz was like "no she doesn't, you're totally reading her wrong." It was like a little male competitiveness thing going on. Then today, when we were leaving class, Oz made a point of shoving me out of the row (in that "i like you" but I'm in middle school-type way). And one other boy (who seems to have the most actual relationship potential) made a point to announce that he was coming to my party this weekend and that he was going to bring all the fixings for mojitos. Nice! My type of guy...

4 Comments:

At 10/14/2005 9:11 PM, Blogger Chairborne Stranger said...

I remember when I used to live in NY, I always thought the same way as a guy! Too funny. Thanks for the laughs.

 
At 10/15/2005 2:50 PM, Blogger FINY said...

When it rains it pours! Being single in this city is a bitch, but you're right, some days, it can be damn entertaining :)

 
At 10/15/2005 5:15 PM, Blogger Frankie said...

As a native New Yorker, I can say, been there, done that. Boston's not any easier, I'll tell you that!

Good luck with this one, Kristin!

 
At 10/16/2005 7:32 PM, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

Good luck!!!

I complain about the dating scene here, too. *BUT* there are occasions (such as the one you describe) when you meet a guy or two and you think, "wow, dating in New York can actually be a lot of fun!!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home