Friday, November 18, 2005

Speed Dating Disaster

When Roxy emailed me that she missed me--and that she wanted to go speed dating this week, I thought it would be a great idea. I haven't seen her in a while, and even though I have more than enough boys in my life right now, I figured it would be fun--and why not? We had so much fun the last time we went speed dating, so at the very least it would be a good time. I was wrong.

There was really no one there that was worth mentioning. All the guys were really short--which is a problem for me (in this way, match.com is slightly better--everyone on that site who seemed interested in me was tall), and most of them weren't too bright. I know, I sound so superficial, but it's true! I did, however, totally bond with the other girls that were there--the girl next to me and I were laughing--her big goal was to find out where these guys went to college--and literally two in a row told us DeVry! Nothing wrong with that, of course, but not exactly what I'm looking for in a mate. Though there wasn't anyone I matched with, the girls were all super cool, so 5 of us decided to go somewhere else--we were on the LES, after all, so no need to waste the evening. Lots of places were hopping, at 9pm on a Thursday, and we met gobs and gobs of guys. I think I did the worst--the cute Canadian I was flirting with told me he would definitely come to my show (I gave him a postcard) but left without asking for any contact info (boo!). All the other girls seemed to meet and exchange contact numbers with prospects.

After leaving, Roxy and I went to get a slice and a cute Australian started talking to us--and a cute British boy joined us, too. We went for a nightcap at an Australian bar around the corner--and I did exchange numbers with the Brit, but I doubt I'll hear from him (he seems like the type to just booty call). The Australian, though, seemed like GREAT boyfriend material--and way into Roxy. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her!

So, even though the speed dating was a total waste, I got to meet a bunch of cool girls and still had a blast. Sometimes it's fun to just go bar hopping and flirt!

20 Comments:

At 11/18/2005 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never speed dated...it's fun? Really? The girl bonsing part sounds like a cool benefit of it though.

 
At 11/18/2005 3:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHY would all the speed daters be short? Can short men not get dates. Were they all short and stupid? If a regular guy appeared would he be in good demand?

 
At 11/18/2005 3:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Didn't go home with anyone this time? Good for you!

 
At 11/18/2005 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, what service did you use? I went to 8 minute dating not too long ago & the girls were slim pickings.

 
At 11/18/2005 5:09 PM, Blogger FINY said...

Despite the speed dating bust, it sounds like you had a great night. I love random night's like that that end up taking you in completely random directions!

 
At 11/18/2005 6:15 PM, Blogger . said...

Hey Brad,

I did 8 min dating -- found the guys were worthy, but agreed, the girls were pretty slim pickings (no one I'd want to bond with). This time we did NY Easy Dates, and almost all the girls were smart and pretty, but the guys were the ones lacking. You should totally try it! http://www.nyeasydates.com/

 
At 11/18/2005 6:36 PM, Blogger elvira black said...

Not too bright and graduated from DeVry? Damn, girl! Why didn't you snap those boys right up! Seriously, that's not really being superficial--that's being sensible. OK, DeVry grads probably make more than Ph.D.'s, but maybe not so much to talk about.

If the guy was really really hot and smart but short, would you make an exception?

 
At 11/18/2005 6:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Kristin!

I've never heard of them, but I'll give them a try - I like the Dec 8 "Manhattanites only" idea.

As a 6' guy, I hope I don't tower too much over the other men!

 
At 11/18/2005 6:40 PM, Blogger . said...

Ug. Maybe. Depends on how short. I'm 5'10", and love to wear pretty heels, so unless the guy's at LEAST 6', I tower over him..

Boston Boy was 5'6", though....

 
At 11/18/2005 6:43 PM, Blogger . said...

Ooh, brad, that actually sounds like a good one.... Hrm. I'm rethinking things, now...

 
At 11/18/2005 6:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's do it, it will be fun! I can give you a man's perspective on the guys, you can give me a woman's opinion of the gals.

Drop me an email -
hey.its.brad
at
gmail.com

 
At 11/19/2005 12:29 AM, Blogger sethro said...

As someone coming from the bars tonight, and just playing the flirt, I can say, its a TON of fun ;) ....sometimes, its ok not to get any phone numbers or hookups, and just be cool with flirting. Good times :)

 
At 11/19/2005 8:08 AM, Blogger Twanna A. Hines | FUNKYBROWNCHICK.com said...

YAY!!! Flirting with boys from other countries. That's one of my favorite activities in the world. Way to go!!!

 
At 11/19/2005 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brad's trying to pick up Kristin.. Doesn't he know that the secret identity must never meet any real world people? That's rule #1 in the super hero guide book!

 
At 11/22/2005 12:38 AM, Blogger . said...

hey its brad--

I have a show that night--so no speed dating for me. Pooh. If you want to go NOT on a Thursday, though...

 
At 11/22/2005 6:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin:

Not a problem - Tuesday, 11/29 or Sunday, 12/18 work for me.

The other evenings are either for thirtysomethings or too close to christmas (what's the point of meeting somebody & then going out of town for a week?).

Let me know.
Brad

 
At 1/06/2010 1:22 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Speed Dating works the correct way round, you meet someone in person and you know within that short date (normally around 3 minutes) if there is any potential there.How speed dating works and the speed dating will then start. Ladies stay seated while gents move every few minutes when a bell rings. You can write on a match sheet whether you want to see each person again, handing this in to your host afterwards. Speed dating usually ends by 10pm, and you’re then welcomed to hang around after for further mingling and flirting.
Speed dating

 
At 8/12/2010 7:08 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 1/26/2011 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Others attempting to return to the connection observed at a powerful adult age can be curious about being a member of a older parttnership advantage. Or even, they may be looking at union a "generic" huge society parttnership web site with a number of chief users.Dating Services

 
At 3/22/2011 5:35 AM, Anonymous The Relationship Company said...

Thanks for sharing, it is very important.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home